Sunday, March 2, 2014

Bermuda: The Sand

All I really wanted was to walk barefoot on a beach. As a winter-beaten Canadian who hasn't felt warm inside or outdoors in months, I really NEEDED it. I needed to be able to walk outside without hunching over and bracing for the cold. I needed to go outside without having four layers of clothes, plus a parka.

In Bermuda, I got exactly what I needed. As I was travelling alone, I also needed to feel safe. The hotel's secure, private beach was where I thought I might dip my toes in the ocean. However, what I learned was that just beyond the gate was incredible beauty and incredible safety as well.

You know how locals hassle tourists, in other countries, to buy this, rent that or get your hair braided? Not in Bermuda. It's not their style. Not once did I encounter anyone wanting something from me. Honestly, all I got was smiles and "good mornings" from passers by.

I had read that Horseshoe Bay was THE best thing to visit in Southampton Parish, by the people of Trip Advisor. (And is a 2013 Travellers' Choice Award Winner.)  The Travel Channel also listed it as a must-see destination and great example of a pink sand beach.

The two mornings I spent on Horseshoe Bay, I encountered about 50 people in total. A few were joggers, there was one young family, but the rest were adults and seniors just out for a walk on the beach. I chatted with a few tourists and exchanged photo-taking services. And from a distance, I saw two artists perched on a hilltop, painting the beach scene.

Horseshoe Bay must be a "public park" or similar to what we have in Canada in the sense that there were State workers and vehicles there grooming the beach area, painting, trimming trees and maintaining the facilities. There were very clean and modern washrooms. There was also a cafe which would be open in the spring and summertime.

There was a surprising variety of vegetation, flora and changes in rock in just a few miles of walking. There was lots to look at and admire. I especially liked some of the rock and sandstone formations.

I didn't go swimming, but the water was quite comfortable to dip my toes in. I LOVED the warm breeze, the feel of the sunshine and the roar of the ocean. The ocean was quite different between my two days. I saw it calm on Wednesday, and it had risen about two feet and was mildly raging on Friday. I LOVED the difference and the power of the ocean in action. I could honestly sit and watch it for hours. And, on Horseshoe Bay, a person could do exactly that in total comfort.
















No comments:

Post a Comment