Sunday, August 3, 2014

Our Amazing Adventure: Part 10 The Westin Ottawa

I really can't say enough about the Westin Hotel, Ottawa! They were fabulous to us. Beyond fabulous! The location of this hotel is ideal if you are visiting Ottawa for the first time. You are within blocks of Parliament Hill, Byward Market and the Rideau Canal. There are enough activities and tourist destinations to keep you busy for a week. Sadly, we were just there for a mere 18 hours.

Of those 18 hours, we spent about 3 hours eating, 8 sleeping and primping, and about 7 exploring the city. Pretty intense agenda, don't you think?  Well, it wasn't called our "amazing race birthday adventure" for nothing!

The view from our room. Absolutely stunning!
The hotel itself has a beautiful view of the Parliament Buildings. We were blessed with an upgrade and a nice high floor so that Riley could see the night skyline, and the sunrise as well.

When I was booking this trip, I booked a night at the Westin using my SPG (Starwood... aka Sheraton/Westin Preferred Guest) ID. Using this, I received the best rate, and unmatched service. Before our stay the hotel concierge, Andrew, sent me a note asking if he could arrange tickets or a special dinner or anything for our upcoming stay. I politely declined, saying that we were just there one night and it was my son and I on a "backpack" and "whistle stop" type trip.  To my surprise, Andrew replied and asked if there was anything he could do to make the visit more memorable for my son. I was taken aback by this second offer. This was over and above any service I've ever received at a hotel or resort. I was especially impressed seeing as though it was merely a 1 night stay. (I could see a hotel making this effort if you were checking into a suite for a week, but this was simply not the case.)

With that open invitation, I replied with details of our adventure. I said I would be ever so grateful if they would simply prepare an envelope for Riley with a trivia question and/or something we could search for in the area. They obliged and an envelope was waiting for us at check-in.

Riley was floored. "Even the hotel is in on our amazing race? Awesome!"

Later, he would reveal to me that having outsiders and friends participate in the surprises and challenges were his favourite moments in the journey.

I was very impressed with the trivia question from Team Westin and we tackled the search first thing in the morning. The answer, Terry Fox, was fairly straight forward. Every Canadian student should know of Terry Fox and the Terry Fox Run from school. So, Ry was delighted to have the answer and was determined to find the statue. That part was more challenging, but we surely did it. It was right across the street from the Parliament building and along our previously planned tour of Ottawa.

Team Westin set up the perfect challenge! We stopped by the concierge desk with our photo and were heartily congratulated by Andrew. I think he was pleased as well to be in on our amazing race style holiday.

There are a few more things worth mentioning.... the Heavenly Beds. That's their trademarked name, "Heavenly Beds" and I agree whole heartedly. There is nothing that compares to a Westin bed. Seriously wonderful. If I had the money, or had sleep problems, I would invest in one of these beds. Damn they are wonderful! I honestly could have slept 15 hours in that bed, but I would have missed our whole day in Ottawa. Couldn't do that!

And although we did not get the chance to experience the Westin dining or Shore Club in this trip, the room service was worth raving about. We checked in after 10pm and Ry wanted just a simple sandwich before going to bed. Exhausted from the day's travels I decided just to call room service. They made his simple sandwich look extraordinary, didn't they? I hope he doesn't expect this kind of presentation and service at home now!

All in all, the Westin Ottawa was outstanding. I simply do NOT gush like this over ordinary experience. This was by far the best hotel experience I've had in a very long time. Considering the budget-friendly rate, and the proximity to the tourist hot spots in Ottawa, I give it a 10 out of 10 for value and service. I would definitely recommend it if you are visiting our nation's capital.


No comments:

Post a Comment