Friday, November 6, 2015

Hope on the Harbour: Pier 21




I'm not embarrassed to say that I'd choose a hockey game, over a museum, 99 times out of 100. But today was that day, the day I picked "museum." I just thought it might be nice to get out of the rain and perhaps absorb a little culture.

The museum was Pier 21, on the Halifax harbourfront. It was the epicentre of immigration for our country in our recorded history.

 Its full title is the Canadian Museum for Immigration at Pier 21, but I'm just going to label it amazing. The experience was unforgettable.

Right now, with immigration being a recent election topic and a hot button for some, I wish that all Canadians could experience what I saw today. These exhibits, and videos and interactive displays are moving. The stories are told with artifacts and documents but in it, such passion is conveyed.

There is a short video in their theatre where immigrants tell their stories. You can not help but relate and rejoice in what we share as Canadians.

There were about a dozen instances where I would read something, or see a photo and wish I had a particular loved one with me. I wanted my son to see the ships and the families and what they went through just to get to Canada. I wanted my friend Sheila to see the strong women who faced unimaginable circumstances and prevailed. I wanted Christina to see the laws and how the Immigration Act has evolved. I wanted my friend Colin to see the photos that pierced thru me. I wanted my brother and his new bride to see the movie. I wanted Leslie to see the Red Cross and military in action, for she would be so proud. And I wanted my friend Kathleen to see it, so she could tell more stories like it.

I wanted our new Prime Minister to see it. To ignite the fire within him.

I wanted to hug an immigration official and a museum curator and personally thank them for this experience.

I was truly rejoicing in the experience. Truly. But what I really didn't expect, was to have my own story.

Stay tuned.

If I can put the Kleenex box down long enough to type, I will.

















1 comment: